Thursday, November 15, 2007

Books

Well, we’ve crossed the half-way point of our stay with 9 weeks in Uganda and 7 more to go. Looking back on my previous blogs, I’m not sure the posts have conveyed how bored I have been. Don’t get me wrong – the scenery is beautiful and the people are friendly, but I don’t have much to do and I don’t have the wonderful distraction that is television. Ani is good company but conversations with a 1 year old only take you so far. I’ve even come to relish the task of doing some of Ben’s data cleaning and anyone who has spent time cleaning data knows that I am truly, truly bored.

So, I have been doing a lot of reading. I scope out books from the libraries of other muzungus who are mainly British and Canadian, so I’ve expanded my knowledge of British and Canadian authors. Here’s a list of books I have read thus far. I have starred the ones that were particularly good in case anyone is shopping for a new book:

  • The Mighty and the Almighty – Madeline Albright*
  • The Invisible Cure – Helen Epstein*
  • The Bridge of San Luis Rey – Thornton Wilder
  • March – Geraldine Brooks*
  • This Body – Tessa McWatt
  • In the Skin of a Lion – Michael somethingorother
  • Life of Pi – Yann Martel*
  • The Foreign Correspondent – Alan Furst
  • A Long Way Down – Nick Hornby
  • How to Be Good – Nick Hornby
  • Neither Here Nor There – Bill Bryson
  • The Birth of Venus - Sarah Dunant
  • Cargo of Orchids - Susan Musgrave
  • To Be Someone - Louise Voss
  • Slave - Mende Nazer*
  • Their Eyes Were Watching God-Zora Neale Hurston*


2 comments:

Jenny said...

I see the book, How To Be Good by Nick is not highly recommended, not supprising! I don't suppose you can get a copy of Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert? Very funny, poignant and the author is in her 30's, traveled to Italy, India, & Indonesia for very distinct reasons. You'd love her writing style, I think of you every time I pick it up. I'd send it to you if you could get it before you come home. Do you have a mailing address? Kim & Rick are coming for Thanksgiving, for which I'm very thankful. Audrey is doing well and Ani's new horse (6months old) is doing well. Her name is Belle Star. Reminds me of a saloon madame name. Much love to you three and your new friends.
Jenny on the Verde (sounds rather Shakesperean, no?)

grandrents said...

Wow...a lot of reading.
Has Ani learned to read yet? What is she doing while you are reading? We love the blog and check it regularly.
Nik, you really are a good writer. Aunt Rose calls you the Erma Bombeck of our times. That's a true compliment. Love you and can't wait for the next entry.
love,
mom