Friday, October 31, 2014

UnHalloween

Last year, or a whopping 9 blog posts ago, we had our typical Halloween.  I collected a list of  about 25 participating apartments and kids in the complex got dressed up and went trick-or-treating.  It was all great except for the fact that my daughter absolutely hated it.  She particularly hates scary costumes and in a tearful outburst asked "WHY?  Why do we dress like DEATH and go house to house?  I don't understand!!!!"  I looked at my Egyptian mummy and her sister, the skeleton, and said, "umm.....for candy?"

I never questioned Halloween and its creepy elements as a child.  To me, it was my big chance for sweets in a nearly sugar-free household.  My costumes were planned specifically to not hinder my ability to RUN house to house and gather as much candy, preferably chocolate, as possible.  I remember one Halloween where my friends and I did a quick costume change and bolted out for another round.  That was epic.

Annice asked that I not plan Halloween this year so we decided to have our  own UnHalloween, which involved fruit carving, a living room candy hunt, and watching a non-scary movie.



Leena was still able to trick-or-treat with the neighbors and we left out candy on the front step.  I've tried explaining to Annice that Halloween is a holiday where we take what scares us and make it into a party, thereby taking some of the scare out of it.  She is skeptical of this explanation and truth-be-told, it does seem like a nice but BS post-hoc explanation for something that is messed up.  Sort of like Humanae Vita, in my opinion, but, I digress.....

UnHalloween turned out to be a raging success.  A sugar high without the frightening nightmares and melt downs of years past.  The best part, though, was the thank you note I received:



1 comment:

Matt said...

This is so great in so many ways. Nice job accommodating your kids. And I love love love the ............. thank you card most of all. :)